Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 16

    Surflessons in Arugam Bay

    9 Ogos 2023, Sri Lanka ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Conscious about going to a 'surfers place', I still was surprised to learn, that Arugam Bay is one of the Top 50 worldwide surfspots and how much it's packed with Surfers. From all over the world, any surflevels possible, lots of beginners. As there is the so called 'Babypoint' directly at the beach, there are nice small waves and whitewater, 'round the clock.

    While neighboring Pottuvil looks like a fishermen city, Arugam Bay is heavy touristic, seems to be an artificial town: Main road (otherwise there are only some dirt side roads to beach and/or facilities/housings) packed with restaurants, tourist ships, surfschools, accommodations, tiny groceries.
    Many restaurants and food stalls serving most common international food, from sushi to pizza, burger and even Schnitzel. 😅 If you're looking around a bit, can find amazing seafood, lots of Sri Lankan food, for reasonable prices. All you can eat rice & curry buffet, or some decent devilled prawns in a luxury beachfront restaurant, or or an in front of you grilled Red Snapper or a variety of Rotis, you can choose on a broad range. Not as cheap as in Trincomalee, more surfer orientated but meals for different budget are available.

    Even if there are lots of fishing boats around the beach, on the main beach several surfschools, restaurants and dozens of surfers in the water from 6am to sunset, clearly dominated the town.
    There just some bigger Hotels of all standards in the periphery, no local business or industry to be seen.
    Beach is nice, obviously a lot of waves, if you can handle the touristic and surfer vibes, main beach is nice to chill and watching surfers.
    There are some small beaches and several surfspots of different levels nearby, so it's worth renting a scooter (6-8.5€) and going around.
    Even at some remote but nice beach surfspots you could rent a surfboard or get a fresh fruit juice from a guy in a shed.
    If you can handle all the crazy surfers, it's a nice place to hang around and have some fun.
    So while looking at surfers for a while and talking to some at my hostel, I finally decided it's worth a try, even if it will be a long term project and cost some amount of time 😅
    So starting with surfing at the beginning of my trip, very likely beeing able to practice a lot in Indonesia and Philippines, there's a chance that I'll be able to ride some nice waves within 2 or 3 months. It is a physically challenging and exhausting sports you need to practicea steadily to improve.
    First surflessons have been great, hopefully I will be able soon to practice on my own, as for now I'm more falling off the board, having a short ride still is rare. 😅
    But some surf lessons should bring some improvement, soon 😎.
    Furthermore I need to find some prescription surfing glasses, as for now I'm using my prescription goggles, I've gotten for snorkeling, originally. Looking funny with that on a surfboard 😅🤣
    Do not expect photos from me surfing, for a while, because it would just be me falling off a surfboard in the whitewater. 🙈
    So let's see, how's going 🙂
    Life's a wave! 🏄
    😉🫣
    Update:
    Added two pics about surfing, seeing that surfers are really crazy, showing more than a dozen of them in the water before sunrise! 😯
    Furthermore, surfing can be a rough sports, especially if your lacking of fitness 😅 So some bruises and cuts are the price to pay, but on my last day here, I finally were able to ride some waves unassisted, one even up to its end! 🥰
    Surfing is amazing, can't wait to go on in Indonesia! 🤩😎
    Baca lagi