Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Safari - Tuktuk adventure part 2 🐘🦎🦌

    August 15, 2023 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Udalawale national park is a great place to see a bunch of animals and, of course, the famous and majestic wild elephants of Sri Lanka.
    So, after our adventurous Tuktuk ride of about 150km, we arrived late at our Safari lodge. But had a great dinner, on the way, at a locals' restaurant. Rice and curry buffet, refill included, for about 1.6€, tasted amazing!🤤
    Obviously no nightlife in Udalawale, as most people here are visiting national park and safaris are starting between 4:30am and 6:00am.
    So after a short night we jumped in our jeep, at park entrance lot of jeeps already piling up. Luckily all the jeeps spread soon over the huge area, so mostly our jeep was quite alone on the trails.
    But if our guide had spotted any animal, it took only a few minutes, till other jeeps stopped by - and vice versa 😅
    Ran into one male elephant within the first 20 minutes, not shy at all, placidly eating some grass.
    Met two herds of elephants, later, but as both had babies with them, one just 3-4 weeks old, we kept distance, as they're very protective.
    So impressive and fascinating animals 🥰.
    Further on we met some deer, buffalos, of course, some chameleons and lizards, a wild Sri Lankan chicken and some fascinating birds.
    Crocodiles were online swimming around, probably it already was too hot for them, at that time. 😅
    So Safari was great, after lunch we left, Ami went to the south by bus, Kasia and I went back to the north. My Tuktuk and me had to do the last part, up to Ella mountains, on our own, as I dropped off Kasia on the bus to Arugam Bay.
    Mountain roads are very nice with a Tuktuk, too. 😬
    Read more