Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 73

    Goodbye Krakatoa, visiting neighborhood

    October 5, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    I could have gone another round around the volcano, not able to stop watching at it's fascinating shaped coastline and permanent activities, but sun was burning and after 4 hours on the boat we all got hungry.
    For our early lunch, we picked little Krakatoa, the island next to the active crater, landing on its black beach.
    Amazing view onto the volcano, great food, some coffee and wandering around, here, after lunch. Only building is the volcano observation office, but the officer seems to be fishing, right now.
    After saying goodbye to Krakatoa, we went back, but two more stops on the only populated islands here, Sebesi and Sebuku, were on our list.
    Sebesi had a nice village, of course everyone knows everybody, so a lot of greeting local people, having some refreshing iced tea, after the long ride in the burning sun, was great. 🥵😎
    So we visited a huge "haunted tree", legend telling that everyone who tried to cut off a limb or cut the tree, was haunted by ghosts for the rest of his life.
    But as we wanted to visit Suridaya's home island, Pulau Sebuku, we left quite soon.
    Sebuku, or at least the part we landed, was like a paradise beach at a protected bay, so water was calm and warm.
    Amazing to see, how Suridaya's son went up the palm tree to cut some coconuts for a snack, while his wife gave us some coffee and some fresh bananas, their 3yrs old daughter being extremely shy, seeing a "bule" for real first time.
    I was shown the traditional palm tree production, which is their main income source, cooking sugar out of sugar-palm leafs nearly 24/7.
    After some relaxing, and showing me their huge grounds along the beach, where they wanted to build a guesthouse for accommodating tourist, we finally left back to Sumatra.
    Sun still burning, all of us hiding under clothes, sweating a lot, but happy to have a packed day, a great time together, enjoying nature's beauty and gifts, and sharing amazing experiences and impressions.
    Never will forget that awesome day. 🥰
    Read more