Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 96

    Sightseeing and traditional dancing

    October 28, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Started sightseeing together with Oliver, a great guy from Switzerland I've met at Laura's backpacker's hostel (btw. a nice place to stay 😉).
    Already had a beer at the bar street together and decided to go to the water palace together. Very nice old palace or area, which was a huge bath in earlier times, too.
    Exiting the palace at a random place, strolling around and seeking some food, we ran into a nice guy, working at the palace's music corps, who was showing us around at a hidden gem, the Sultan's princess' house.
    Amazing to see the amazing artwork and unbelievable massive handcrafted wooden carvings. Sometimes having golden backgrounds made them like shining from itself.
    A huge main room and a smaller, but even more impressive, meditation room was to see there, another great experience we accidentally walked into and enjoyed so much!
    After that, it occurred that there was a nice tiny coffee house, serving the famous Luwak coffee, so we decided to try it. This special coffee is known worldwide, as it's made out of beans from the poo of the Luwak cat. This cat eats the beans with it's green hull, in its stomach beans are kind of fermented, after collecting and roasting it gives some decent coffee. 😅 To be honest, I didn't taste anything special, was a good one, but I'm not a coffee gourmet, so please try by yourself. 😅😉
    While drinking that coffee, we've met Robin, another nice guy from Germany, after chitchatting until coffee house was closing, we altogether grabbed some food.
    There we decided to go to a traditional dancing show at the museum, in the evening, which was amazing. It was kind of a dancing theater with some dialogs in between, performed in traditional costumes and wearing traditional masks.
    There were way more locals than foreigners visiting it (locals had even more fun, as they understood the spoken words 😅), and the multi-language leaflets gave even us an idea, about the story and the backgrounds.
    Again the unexpected made this day a packed day full of impressions and new views onto amazing Indonesian culture and history. 🥰
    Read more