Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 177–179

    Exploring Dili - again 😅🥰

    January 17 in East Timor ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    Relaxing a few days in Dili was needed and very relaxing, the DaTerra hostel, part of an amazing permaculture project in Baucau, is a great place to stay.
    I decided to go to Atauro island, next , to explore the outstanding reefs there, but wanted to heal my wounds, first, so some more time to go around in Dili.
    Thanks to Sara, volunteering in the DaTerra hostel, I have seen a local handcrafts workshop, producing awesome craved artworks from mostly woods, stone and bones.
    Furthermore we visited a very small private "zoo" from a local businessman. This was quite sad to see, animals were not really kept and cared for properly, the crocodile there was in a very bad shape and really looking heartbreaking.
    Passing by some extraordinary artworks, especially a huge one, close to the museum of resistance, stood out: Building a bridge between the cruelties of the past, the diversity of local cultures and tribes, the relationship to the world's people, the struggles of present days, the nature, the future of Timor Leste, so many aspects put in that amazing piece of street art!
    This country and this city are something special, it's hard to describe, but it's definitely a unique place.
    Read more