Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 90

    Franscehoek & the Garden Route

    March 12, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ 🌬 21 °C

    From Cape Town we picked up the car and explored some of the Cape Peninsula including Hout Bay and Boulders Beach, which houses a colony of African penguins. We then drove along the stunning coastline of False Bay then inland to Franscehoek in the Winelands.
    We hopped on the wine tram/bus lines and visited some beautiful vinyards, and participated in some wine tastings, including a Pinotage experience (my new fave red wine!), and a wine and chocolate pairing. I could have spent a week here alone!
    We then drove on through some beautiful farmlands to Mossel Bay, the start of the Garden Route. In Mossel Bay we saw some dramatic coastal scenery and rock dassies (like big guinea pigs- the closest living relative to the elephant!), had some braai (South African barbeque) on the coast, and saw some dolphins in the sea.
    Next we headed along the coastal N2 towards Knysna, a scenic harbour town situated on an estuary. We took in the great views from The Heads, a pair of headlands that flanks the river mouth, and a catamaran trip to experience them from the estuary.
    Next we moved on to where I sadly had to separate ways with mum and dad at Jeffery's Bay where I stayed behind and they went off to Addo Elephant National Park for a safari. I had a great time with them and wish they could have stayed longer! 💖
    Read more