Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 163

    Liwonde National Park

    May 24, 2023 in Malawi ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    As it had been a while since I'd been on safari I thought I'd give it another go in Malawi. I stayed in a lodge just outside of Liwonde National Park. Although it is outside the park, there is nothing stopping the animals from wandering around the lodge grounds and we had to be escorted to our huts at night. On my 1st night there we saw an elephant in the bushes not too far from the bar area. When I was escorted back to my hut the ranger pointed out the footprints that showed the elephant had been right outside my hut munching on the amarula tree. I'm kind of glad I wasn't in my hut by myself as he was trashing around outside!
    The next day we were out on an early morning game drive in the park and saw loads of bucks, birds, and warthogs. The best bits were the up close encounters with elephants including one munching on a baobab tree a couple of meters away, and a family of 5 cheetahs with a kill. In the afternoon we went on a boat trip where we saw more elephants, this time swimming around in the water. At night we had a few beers around the fire pit and hoped for more nocturnal elephant sightings, but weren't so lucky that night!
    Read more