Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Heading Bush Day 3 and dingo country

    April 12, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    As if Day 2 wasn't amazing enough, Day 3 was even better!

    Had an early stop at Copley for quandong cheesecake. Quandong is related to lychee but much less fleshy. Tasty enough, esp with a cuppa!

    Quite a lot of the day built on some of the very basic info we had about Aboriginal culture from previous days. We had the great honour to meet an Arabana Elder who generously shared information about his culture. As a simple example, the type of boomerang that return look a bit like a hawk in flight so can be used to keep birds in a tree or on the ground and another type then used to kill.

    Time started running out (getting close to sunset), so after a brief stop at Lake Eyre South we went into 4WD mode and bumped off the road into something like a moonscape - just about the most incredible landscape I've ever seen. Utterly flat to the distant horizon in every direction - one of the things I was hoping for on this trip and the best ever view from a toilet! We got a beautiful sunset and moonrise.

    Just to add to my excitement we were under instruction not to leave shoes out at night but to put them in our swags because we crossed the dingo fence (5525 km long!) during the day and dogs like shoes!
    Read more