Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Long and muddy day

    March 19, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    I left fairly early today and continued TET at the village on a top of a hill called Monsanto, quite stunning. Soon after I ran into a locked gate I couldn't get around and had to turn a long way back. Later I came across another dead end, this time being a blocked railway crossing. The block was constructed out of rails so it was absolutely too heavy to even move and inch. If I was Pol Tarres maybe I could somehow fly over the rails on the side but I was not gonna try that. Another turn around and quite some time lost.
    Later I was stopped by the police saying I cannot go further as there is a cycling race going on and I should go back. But I had to go right there! Well, with all the offroad I have been doing and the maps I have, surely I will find my way. I did, but ended up coming out of the woods in the middle of the damn race! Immediately I got escorted out of the race by a nice cop :) Another hour lost making a long way around.

    Finally, while avoiding a muddy puddle, a broken fence pole was sticking out which I did not see as it was covered by some bushes and slammed into it, pushing me guess where? Smack in the middle of the puddle I was trying to avoid. Obviously getting the bike up while standing in super slippery puddle was not a one minute job. Spinning the bike around made it easier and after about 10 minutes and lots of sweat, I was on my way again.

    Needless to say, I am now officially desperate of a shower and LOTS of laundry. Tomorrow I will end up in Santarem where I will book acommodation for at least two nights. Yasmina is going in for a regular service and a tire change on Monday so I have to stay there for at least a day anyway. I will make good use of the time to get rid of all the mud :) Plus, another set of rainy days are ahead it seems... What's that about sunny Spain and Portugal???
    Read more