Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 3, Tombstone, Arizona

    August 9, 2013 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Heading out of Tucson we made our way to Tombstone, Arizona. Well I don't need to tell anyone about the history of Tombstone, most of us grew up with the cowboy movies telling the stories of Wyatt Earp and the shoot out at the OK Corral.

    We headed there thinking it had some sort of theme park but in actual fact the entire town is the theme park. The main streets are still as they were in the late 1800's at the time of the shoot out at the corral. The entire population almost appears to live in the past as they parade up and down the main streets acting out the cowboy era and shoot outs in the streets. Live theatre shows at the OK corral reliving the shooting and the incidents leading up to the event gave the town a real theatrical feel. Not sure whether I was disappointed or ok with everything. Guess the jury is still out on that one, but one thing is certain, it is a relief to see that the people still place such a strong emphasis on their towns history. I think the history is what really keeps the place alive as it died when the water tables rose up to make the mining of the silver and gold no longer viable.

    Four hours at Tombstone certainly placed us a little behind schedule but with the RV refuelled we headed back through Benson to the I10 East and took off toward Las Cruces, New Mexico.
    Read more