Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 34

    Over The Hill; Acebo from Murias

    30 de junio de 2023, España ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    While sitting at lunch we decided .. "Why stop at 13 miles? It's only another 7 ish with a few hundred feet of elevation gain over the most rugged pass on the trail to get to the next lodging."

    Also, pool.

    And so we forged onward.

    In fairness, this morning was cold. Like.,. Low 40s cold. And we are higher elevation, so we didn't want to do the 5,000ft pass at dawn. And we felt strong. The walking was glorious all day. And ~20 miles isn't as intimidating as it once was.

    So, after enjoying one of the best salads I've ever had, a kombucha, then a coffee ... We continued.

    Along the way I said an easy but important goodbye; appreciated gorgeous mountain holly in bloom; absorbed an abundance of vitamin D; laughed often; limped occasionally; discussed world politics, relationships, the stock market, Kenyan quail markets, shoes (shoes are a frequent topic TBH), and food; awed and ooo'd over vistas; and stood for a long while watching a berry bush abuzz with a stunning diversity of pollinators.

    There were snacks.

    The physical component was tough but mostly due to foot pain, not so much due to fatigue.

    The weather gods blessed us with not just benevolence, but with excellence.

    And when we arrived, there was in fact a spectacular pool in which to swim.

    A great day.

    A delightful frenchman and his 3 sons shared dinner with me and with Bruce. I am reminded that I should learn some French, and glad that Marc spoke such good English.

    The night is wrapping to a close and tomorrow holds great promise.
    Leer más