Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 131

    More Sexy Time

    November 18, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ 🌙 68 °F

    Up pre-dawn again. I'm fortunate that Mauritius was two hours ahead: waking at 4AM isn't that tough with mild jet lag.

    We jumped in the open-air landcruiser pickup and enjoyed a colorful crepuscular drive to stroll through the bush near Pretoriuskop Camp.

    Aside: this has been the least attractive of the three camps. Still nice, just ... Less nice. The on-site restaurant is a fast food joint vs. a beautiful restaurant with a river view.

    So we walked through dewy grasses, enjoying some natural history lessons for a couple hours. Along the way we saw rhino footprints and a huge midden, but no rhinos (yet?). We did get uncomfortably close to a bull elephant. Without the protection of a car (which probably wouldn't do much) it feels a lot.... Less safe. Exciting. A good dose of humility.

    I particularly enjoyed watching the struggles of a dung beetle (see vid) as it toiled along rolling an enormous burden on top of which sat his mate. There's a metaphor there.

    And we saw some millipedes wrapped up in sexy time. I think that they froze when we disturbed them, sorry guys!

    The whole walk was lush and green. You can feel the life all around you. What a beautiful start to a good day!
    Read more