Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Sandgate, Brisbane

    September 17, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    After a stop in Cairns to drop off and pick up passenger we finally arrived at Brisbane airport around 10 am Saturday morning. Clare, met us at the airport and drove us to their home in Sandgate, base for our holiday in Oz. The house in Sandgate is a traditional Queenslander, wooden house on stilts, with any additions built under rather than above. We spent most of the day recovering, unpacking and had an early night. After 10 hrs sleep and a couple of cups of tea recovery from the travelling had started. Sunday - The temperature today is around 21C and sunny. We went shopping for slippers, sunscreen and Sim cards before lunch.
    Around 4 pm we went to a local wetlands area Tinchi Tamba to search out Kangaroos. It is an area that links to Moreton Bay and has Pine river going through it. There is part board walk over the wetland/mangrove area which leads into wooded areas and clearings where the Kangaroos can be seen. The walkway ends at a bird hide by the Pine river where various birds like Ibis, Spoonbills and curlew and is a flight path for migrating birds. We spotted a number of Kangaroos, some in family groups and one with a joey in her pouch on our walk and at the river saw the sun beginning to set giving an orangey glow to the clouds and sky.
    Read more