Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Brisbane, South Bank

    September 20, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Today we hopped on the train from Sandgate to Brisbane, stopping at all stations in between - Boondall, Nudgee etc. We got off at Centrale and headed to Queens Street Mall so we could update our collection of tourist brochures about the area - the information centre was to be found in the renovated Regent Cinema Theatre. The components of the building that served the Regent Theatre are: the single-height threshold space off the street; the large, double-height entrance hall; and beyond this the elaborate grand foyer, which retains the marble staircase that once led to the 1929 theatre's mezzanine promenade. The interiors of all these spaces are extravagantly ornamented in a collection of styles.
    A quick coffee and a wander through the farmers' market held every Wednesday which was filled with all sorts fresh foods and craft items, we found ourselves at the river side. After crossing the Queens street bridge to the other side of the river we took a leisurely stroll along the path ways on the South Bank, stopping to admire the Nepalese Peace Pagoda that was part of Expo 88 and lingering a while on seats along the Tropical Rain forest board walk.
    Lunch was at Cafe Lagoonas, where we had a Lagoonas special - one sandwich with both breakfast and lunch contained in it!!
    We continued to stroll along the bank until we reached South Bank station and a return train to Sandgate. Now for a cup of tea and planning where to go over the next few days!
    Read more