Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

    September 26, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Today we were up early to get to Brisbane, South Bank for 10 am. We are heading to Fig Tree Pocket to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary on the Mirimar II. The trip took us down the river, during the cruise we sat up top to enjoy sunshine, cool air, great views of historic Queenslander homes and breathtaking modern mansions along the sought after river front. We also had an entertaining narrative for the journey down, from the Captain with interesting facts about the sites along the way as well as the river itself and the boat we were on. This was a relaxing way to spend an hour and a quarter!
    Once we arrived at Fig Tree Pocket and negotiated the climb up the 29 steps to the entrance we had 3 hrs in which to explore the sanctuary. From Koalas to Kangaroos; Wombats to Dingos; Platypus to Bats and Tazmanian Devils we spent the time exploring some of Australia's wildlife - some in enclosures, some roaming so you could get up close experiences feeding and touching - Emus, kangaroos and wallabies. Some animals and birds have the area as their natural home - Myna birds, black turkeys, Eastern Water dragons and a range of smaller lizards. There was plenty to see in a reasonably spaced area and the 3 hours went quite quickly. The return boat trip was a little warmer, just as relaxing and accompanied with Ozzie music.
    Once back to Sandgate we had cold drinks then an early meal so we could meet Ken and head to another theatrical event as part of the Brisbane festival. This time we went to Theatre Republic at QU; the production was called 'Two Guys In A Box' - two Brisbane guys known for clowning using a combination of physical theatre, dark comedy and satire to show their life in the box.
    Read more