Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Christchurch, South Island

    October 21, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    We dropped JYM back to the Hertz space in the Airport car park reasonable early - check in was completely empty, it was eerie! We left Rotorua Airport on a twin jet prop plane - a little bumpy on ascent and descent but otherwise smooth. Great views though. As we arrived at our hotel in Christchurch, North Harbour Rugby team were just leaving for their match against Canterbury in the city centre - however, Harbour lost by about 10 points!
    We took a wander around Christchurch city centre and took a (shortened) tram tour - a very odd experience. In places it was very English - our hotel restaurant was Bloody Mary's after Queen Mary 1st with Latimer Square outside! Street names - Gloucester, Worcester and Hereford Street; the Avon river as well as Beckenham and Sydenham as areas in the city. There are old style (or reproduction) buildings; interesting new builds; buildings being repaired or propped up; wasteland being rejuvenated and many buildings with boarding around and unsafe noted all round - however it is still working! A new triangular cathedral made from cardboard type building material; lovely boutique streets with shops and eateries; an art trail with murals, sculptures and installations around the city including the cathedral square and a statue by Anthony Gormley in the centre of the river Avon. Trams still tour the city with workmen opening fencing gates so they can continue their circuit. On the tour we stopped at one halt and a couple who had just got married asked if they could take some pictures before we moved on! The city is still a mess - roads closed, wasteland car parks and some tourist sites still closed - but there are signs of development and repair. It would be great to see it again in another 2 - 3 years as long as fate allows.
    Our waitress at the hotel was from Littlehampton and spent some time reminiscing about Britain - she'd been away touring for about 2 years. Now to watch the Bledisloe Cup - Oz v NZ, just who do we support?!
    Read more