Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    Franz Josef , South Island

    October 27, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Well, we had another of our long drives today coming all the way north from Queenstown to Franz Josef 355 km (approx 4.41 hrs). We decided the best way to do this was share the driving and slot it into blocks. Trevor started and we kept aiming for townships only to find the route bypassed them. We stopped for the first time near Makarora which ended up nearer early lunch than coffee time - Trevor had stretched his legs at a lookout over Lake Wanaka (on the left of SH 6) just after driving the length of Lake Hawea (on the right of SH 6) as we missed the township of Wanaka itself! At this point we swapped driver and I did the next stage through the Haast pass and down to Haast township, where we remembered to turn off! For the first time in ages we had a pot of English Tea with a pot of hot water to top it up! As well as a piece of lovely carrot cake. Trevor did the next stage to Bruce Bay where we had gorgeous views over the Tasman sea and an ice cream. Last stage to Franz Josef done by me - a little bit windier than expected! Once settled at our hotel, with amazing views again, we went for a wander along the main street - as in Queenstown we did feel decidedly old. There were families and some people our age or older, but the main emphasis was as a centre for extreme sports / events - sky diving, etc. Again a lovely meal at the hotel restaurant - we noticed that if the restaurant has a view they sit diners so they can see it while eating their meal; turning tables on the slant, seating 2 people to sides and leaving the other sides clear etc.
    We have a flight at 9 am tomorrow to see the glaciers, before heading to Hokitika for once only an hour away and able to relax, spend time and shop for souvenirs.
    Read more