Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Snow rain and hot chocolate

    November 28, 2019 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    After a pretty cold night we woke up to a cloudy day. Susanne wasn't warm enough during the night, due to the strenuous day before and especially cold late evening. We had to catch the boat at 11:00 right in front of the campsite. While that sounds easy enough, we're always up for a challenge. Helped by some hail and rain, the packing wasn't ideal with us having to pack our inner tents separately from the outer tents, and we really had to hurry to make it. When at 11:00 we ran to the boat, the boat crew instead went to the Argentinian border office to have a tea. It's better to be early than late, we suppose.

    But the boat across Lago del Desierto was brilliant. Most of the people that hiked/biked the border crossing the day before were also there and it was nice to share the experience. Even better: the rain turned into snow 🌨️ and we got some hot chocolate from the crew 😊. The skipper was also the bus driver for the last stretch to El Chaltén, and he was so kind to immediately let us put our backpacks in the bus while we walked around a bit and had a tea in the lake café, which had 1 heater which was constantly swarmed by groups of cold people with wet clothes.

    The bus ride to El Chaltén felt short because we napped for a part of it. Upon arrival at the hostel in the town the rain had finally stopped and because it was supposed to stay dry for a while, we decided to put our tents up again in the backyard.
    Read more