Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    W Trek Day 2: Grey to Paine Grande

    December 12, 2019 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    We woke up at 6 in the morning. After 2 hours of packing and eating breakfast, we were ready to head further north to 2 bridges with some nice views of the Grey glacier. This is actually not officially part of the W-Trek but of the longer O-Trek and was the reason for carrying all our gear up to the Grey camping. We gained 260m in altitude and during the 1.5 hour hike we had some very pretty views while getting closer to the end of the glacier. Afterwards Franzi and Machiel decided to still go to the iceberg-lake viewpoint that Daniel and Susanne had already visited the evening before. We've seen a similar iceberg lake before in Iceland but this one felt so calm and peaceful in comparison, and we could actually see the glacier in the background, though it was still very far away.

    Since we still had a long day ahead of us, we had agreed on being back at the Grey camping at 12 to have lunch. Being lucky we could even enjoy it in the sun that just made it from behind the mountains. With some new energy we could then continue with all our gear back to Paine Grande, where we had arrived by boat the previous day. It's difficult to say if it is more motivating or demotivating to know how the way looked like. Nonetheless, it was enjoyable even though the winds were strong. We took quite some breaks to enjoy the view of the many icebergs that had stranded on our side of the lake. Around 18:00 we arrived at the camping Paine Grande, set up our tents and had dinner.
    Read more