Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 77

    Greetings from the Salmon God

    January 22, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    On our way west to Lake Tekapo, we had a short stop in the town Fairlie. There we bought a fairly nice vegetable pie for an early lunch snack. Arriving at lake Tekapo, we did the mandatory stop at the church of the good shepherd. It was really hot weather with temperatures reaching 27 degrees. We nonetheless decided to walk up Mount John rather than paying the toll road to the top. For the first part we still had shade from the trees, but once they disappeared it was a sweaty climb. At the top was a tiny café where we had a juice while enjoying the view of lake Tekapo and the sight of Asian tourists that paid to drive up there hold 15 minute long photoshoots with the summit statue.

    Our Campermate app had told us about a free campsite a bit further. On the way we had a look at another blue lake - lake Pukaki, and the surrounding mountains before pitching our tent on our own little peninsula on yet another small lake.

    While eating dinner at our fancy picknick table, a Brazilian guy was fishing in the lake right at the campsite, and it appeared he actually caught something, and it wasn't small. He struggled to clean and prepare it for awhile, but in the end he appeared to have managed, as he and his girlfriend were frying and eating it. Then he walked our way to ask if we wanted some pieces as it was too much for them. It was salmon! Never in a million years would we have dared to think our salmon prayers from yesterday would reward us so soon. The evening was finished by quite the sunset over the Edoras hills.
    Read more