Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 111

    Koalas!

    February 25, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    We woke up early and had breakfast in our rental van after figuring out how to transform the bed into a sitting area. Afterwards we drove to the town of Lorne to fill up our water tank. It was here when we realised that the filling system leaked but we weren't yet aware on how bad it was. So we drove up to a nice viewpoint of the coastline and further down the road had a small walk to a waterfall. The waterfall wasn't that big but the setting was pretty nice with the rocks surrounding it. In Kennet River we wanted to go and see some koalas. But here is when we realised that the water leak was apparently so big that the whole carpet in the back of the car was soaked. We decided to be annoyed enough now by leaks and mold and called the Travellers Autobarn to complain. They were trying to be nice and helpful but we got the feeling they were mainly worried about the leak rather than actually understanding that it was making us uncomfortable living in a moldy van. We sent some evidence, let's see what their final reaction will be.

    We started our koala walk and we indeed spotted two of them. They were mainly hanging in the tree doing what they are doing 20 hours a day: sleep. They're apparently the dumbest mammals in existence, and wouldn't recognise their only food as food unless they can eat it directly from the tree: poisonous leaves that they then spend most of their energy on to digest. But they're fluffy and cute. Once in a while they were moving an arm or leg as if to stretch before sleeping further.

    After a pretty late lunch we continued our way on the Great Ocean Road. Eventually we arrived in Apollo Bay and since we realized that there were 'no camping or overnight parking' signs everywhere along the way, we decided to go for a cheapish but official camping in the town. Originally we wanted to wash here as well but it was already a bit late and they predicted rain in the morning. So no chance to dry our clothes on time.

    We had a pretty great wraps dinner while a big group of retired Australians enjoyed their trip away from Melbourne. They were very nice and talkative and we benefited two great chocolate cake pieces from them for dessert.
    Read more