Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 117

    To the West Coast

    March 2, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    No time for a lazy morning today as, for the 2nd time in 5 days, we had to drive back to Melbourne to hand in our van. And this time we didn't want the stress of last time, so we left at 8:30. We took a few breaks along the way to pack our backpacks and have lunch with coffee and tea. When we did reach Melbourne we didn't have much time left either however to fuel the van, clean it, and go to the supermarket. Then we had secretly hoped someone at our van rental Travellers Autobarn would be so kind to drop us off at the airport, as we had read in some of the reviews on this location. But that wasn't possible. Maybe we hadn't filled in their survey positively enough. We got an evil Uber to bring us to the airport instead.

    Checking in our luggage at Melbourne Airport was great. It was all self service, very easy and without any queue. We had enough time left to carefully select our dinner option, just how we like it. We went for Vietnamese on site with a Subway footlong to go.

    The flight went well, and this time we had a window! Which fit the moment as there was a nice sunset going on and when the clouds cleared we could see a bit of the coastline. Arrival went quickly, inland flights are such a breeze compared to international ones. A bus took us to the city center. From there we still had to walk 2km to our hostel though, which wasn't great while being so sleepy. While local time was only 21:00, our bodies were still operating in Melbourne time, meaning it was midnight. We checked in and got some good news: we got upgraded from a dorm to a twin room. When we were shown the room it was full of stuff... the employee mumbled "what the fuck". 😂 So we got another room. All good. Just a bit cold for sleeping as all rooms are connected to this central airco system you can't control.
    Read more