Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 125

    Dinosaur jumping

    March 10, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Susanne really wanted to swim somewhere. So we thought we'd use the early morning before checkout and check out Little Lagoon which was rated very well as swimming area on Campermate. Arriving there Susanne went in with her feet. It wasn't bad but simply too shallow to think about a swim without walking hundreds of meters. Our next try was the local town beach but here it didn't look any better. The Internet actually confirmed that the sandbar is between 500 and 1000 meters wide before the sea actually gets deeper. So that simply wasn't really worth it. Disappointed we picked up our food from the camping kitchen and left Denham. Ironically the town on the peninsula west of Denham is called 'Useless Loop', but we headed back thinking that the town of Denham was neither really worth the detour. We especially don't understand why in towns like these they don't facilitate better swimming spots. It's so hot yet the local population doesn't seem to care much about using the sea to cool down, contrary to the Australian South Coast or New Zealand. We've been at loads of beaches here but haven't seen a single person in the water, which also doesn't make it inviting to go for a swim alone being a tourist.

    We had a short visit to Shell Beach on the way back to the main highway. That was actually pretty cool and lightened the mood. The beach consists of shells only. In some places the shells have piled up several meters thick. And the water was super clear. Again very very shallow but good for a feet bathing walk. While walking you are not being followed by the usual hundreds of flies but by hundreds of tiny fish. Which is so much nicer because the don't swim into your eyes.

    It was already super hot again. No point in trying any other activities. We picked a free camping along the highway but thought we'd rather arrive late to avoid the flies. So we first went to a random rest area along the road and tried to relax there for some hours, which wasn't easy due to the heat. We couldn't open the van too much or else too many flies got in but it was doable and there was some wind coming in. After a while we anyways wanted to continue. We arrived nonetheless early at the campsite and of course the flies found us again. However, back in Geraldton we had bought a 2m fly screen which we now somehow squeezed between the drivers door and viola we could open a second window now without getting them in. So at least in the van we were now save.

    After dinner we had some time left but no Internet. So we stumbled upon this nice dinosaur jumping game Google provides you with when it can't load a website. Guess what, we ended up spending the rest of the evening playing. Current highscore around 800. Then the birds get too challenging.
    Read more