Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 126

    Space exploration

    March 11, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 37 °C

    In the morning we drove straight to the big city of Carnarvon (4500 inhabitants) to do some grocery shopping. As we plan to do snorkeling in the upcoming week we also went to a shop to buy snorkels. We figured it was worth it.

    Then we quite spontaneously decided to visit the Space and Technology Museum. Turned out to be really good. Carnarvon played a role in the lunar Apollo missions in the 60's and they had loads of information and props about it. When we first entered an employee showed us a NASA launch simulator, in which we were sitting/lying on our backs in a control capsule while listening to the radio transmission of the actual launch in real time. We had a countdown and even 'windows' that turned real fiery at lift off. Right when we were convinced we were on the way to the moon, the employee opened the door behind us. "How was it?" Little did he know we were secretly looking forward to spend some time away from Earth, away from the bush flies, the heat and humidity, and corona. We enjoyed the rest of the time there with some more learning and playing some oldschool space games.

    It was around 14:00 when we left and we still wanted to cook ourselves some lunch. We drove back to the coast in the town, found a great shaded lunch spot at the sea and made a lentils curry. We really enjoyed relaxing outside in the shade without too many flies bugging us. We actually enjoyed it so much that we left a bit later than we should have. We still wanted to drive 200km further to the next free camping but noticed quite quickly that we wouldn't manage within daylight. Unlike other rental company insurances we are allowed to drive in the dark despite the higher chance for wildlife collisions. So we were driving and already doubting to stop earlier when the sun was setting. When a kangoroo jumped on the road in front of us and we luckily managed to brake on time, the decision was made. We pulled into the earlier rest stop, it was already dark, so no flies, great spot and all we had to do is eat some slices of bread and go to bed.
    Read more