• 52° to 53°: Accepting a slow passage ahead

    July 3 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    The night was wonderful, 8 hours of sleep, uninterrupted :) .

    With coffee in hand I study the new weather forecast. The situation in the Davis Strait between Canada and Greenland isn’t stable. There is no dominating system at all. The forecast is changing every day. I assume that 2 days ahead are kind of dependable, everything beyond that can change a lot. In any case, it is now obvious that I won’t have “fast” weather for the crossing. All very weak and unstable winds, predominantly from the wrong direction. As I sketch it out, I develop fuel anxiety. I already did burn some fuel to get here and it seems that I can’t get to Nuuk by July 11th without burning more: I need to take on some diesel. Mary’s Harbor seems adequate and it comes praised by Martin of Skjoldmoen, whom I met with Patrick on Block Island. It’s not a big detour, there is diesel from a hose (and not from a truck). That should do.

    I motor out of Chateau Bay, my anchorage, which really is quite stunning. An abandoned fishing settlement, which according the grave yard was chiefly run by the family “Stone”. It is all motoring, no sailing to Mary’s Harbor.

    Well, the diesel pick up did take more time than I hoped. I had to wait for about 2 hours for Barry the harbor master to show up. I bunker 400L for 828 CAD and also top up the water. With not totally useless weather forecast for the night, I decide to head out right away - even though part of me wants to stay right there on the wharf and have another good sleep. But the price would be head winds the next morning…. no thank you!

    I motor out and hoist the main and unfurl the genoa in light winds of 8 knots. Fortunately the angle is good and I move at about 6 knots. Not long after the wind slows to 6 knots. Big difference. Speed is down to 3-4 knots, the sails start moving, the boom is making noises. Let’s see. I think in a few hours it will be motor time until maybe 3 am.
    Read more