Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Alcatraz and last minute sight seeing

    April 18, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    We toured to Alcatraz this morning and it didn't disappoint ! Really interesting tour. We explored the island from all view points !

    The history is really interesting and the audio jail tour was really informative. Something I'm glad we did! The panoramic view back towards San Francisco from the island were amazing and we've had awesome weather today !!!

    Went to Hard Rock Cafe for lunch and our shared entree could have been our main .... think we will roll out of San Francisco.... meal was delicious though, we even spoilt ourselves with a beer and cocktail. Chads steak was half the plate and a good 1.5cm thick !

    We then Caught a cab with I feel may have been a psycho cab driver who didn't like asians on bikes too much ... up to Lombard Street. A peculiar street dubbed one of the crookedest in the world..... we watched the cars travelling through and maybe of more entertainment was the number of tourists that nearly got run over trying to take photos mid street :) there were even monks photographing the quaint tourist spot.

    Fortunately as we were now uphill we strolled back to down town for Chads ice cream of the day :) this time we went to Ben and Jerry's!!! Did I mention we are rolling out of San Francisco?

    That reminds me speaking of watching tourists get run over by a car .... ask Chad about how he nearly got me killed last night whilst trying to point out the array of strip clubs near little Italy ....

    Down at fisherman wharf there are so many things besides the touristy attractions to look at..... the array of different personalities, nationalities and lifestyles all coming together. The homeless looking for money and openly saying it was to buy their weed..... (you can smell that stuff everywhere here) ...... street entertainers from singers, break dancers, musicians, clowns to not white sure what ....

    Chad got pulled over by someone today and told he was receiving an official warning for smiling too much and being too affectionate with his wife ..... we thought the guy was serious at first .... until he introduced himself formally and he was raising money for the soup kitchen of which we had seen in action in our stay.....

    Last of the day my friend google had showed me some mosaic stairs put together by a community of 200 neighbours ..... google looked impressively so we thought we would check it out before calling a day on San Fran......
    well the taxi driver had never been asked to go there in the ten years he had been driving ..... and so a $60 cab fare and a few wrong turn laters we found them and they were beautiful.......not to mention the rewarding view we had of the back end of San Francisco over looking the Pacific Ocean.

    So all in all San Francisco was Spectacular ! My new favourite word!!!! I hope to be back here again one day !!
    Read more