Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Segovia

    September 11, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌬 19 °C

    We had a long lie in this morning and then spent the day exploring Segovia, which is a really nice compact city with lots of great buildings to see. It's greatest fame is the Roman aqueduct which was over 16 kilometres long and went from river headwaters in the mountains and into the city via a fabulous aqueduct which is still there. It stands over 28 metres high and has 167 arches, then it goes underground under the city from one end to the other in a channel 1.2 kilometres long , and ends up at the castle. Many of the buildings along its route dug wells to access the water in it, and indeed there is one in the basement car park of our hotel.

    After that we went to the cathedral which is huge and very ornate as Spanish churches are, but I guess it was worth going to as we spent a hour and a half in there. The stained glass windows are really beautiful and mostly date from the early 1500's. They are just in the process of cleaning and restoring them, and in one case replacing one with a marvellous modern one. And then to the castle which dates in parts to the 12 century, but is mostly from the 1400's like the cathedral. It is quite small but looks as it should been the model the castle in Disneyland!
    Read more