Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Oh Wow! Just ... Oh Wow!

    January 29, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Yesterday, like every day so far, was sunny, warm and clear blue skies, so I went for a wander around in the afternoon, revisiting places like the castle and the cathedral, seeing what's new and what's the same. There are a lot of buildings refurbished in the centre and lots more new or refurbished to rent as holiday lets. The local paper has articles about people being unhappy that these are taking priority over residents who want new homes in the centre. Then we stayed in last night glued to the radio to listen to the FA cup match between Barnet and Brentford, dubbed "the battle of the Bees", or as Barnet fans would put it "real Bees vs fake Bees".
    With Barnet being the last non-league team in it, it got huge amounts of coverage, although only on BT on TV, and full coverage on the radio. The Hive was packed with a capacity crowd of 6,250, and the noise was immense even over the radio (where are all these people for normal league games when we just get maybe 1,200?) It was a fantastic game, swinging first one way and then the other, and Brentford, despite being a championship team over 70 places higher than Barnet knew they had been in a match. In the end it was a 3-3 draw and could have easily been more either way, and we have to do it all again at Brentford next week. Let's hope some of that magic rubs off on our league form , which has been patchy to put it politely! It would so good to see and hear the Hive rocking again!
    Read more