Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Leaving Krakow

    June 6, 2019 in Poland ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Our flight wasn't due to leave till 18.45 so we had most of the day spare. We bought some stuff then went to the tiny church of st. Adalbert in the main square. It dates to before 1000 a.d., but was rebuilt in the seventeenth century. It's just one small room with a domed roof and some unusual frescos. Then we went to the archaeological museum which has a large collection from ancient Egypt, from early pre-dynastic to late periods. Most of the material was very late - from Greek and Roman times, and not really of great quality. The galleries were very, very dark and badly lit so it was difficult to make out what was there. They also have a good collection of Peruvian, pre-inca material, which was very good and much better displayed. It was one man's collection from his time working on engineering projects, and he clearly loved the civilisations that existed along all the river valleys along the west coast. It was great to see lots of things that we could recognise from our big trip there a few years ago. Also interesting was a floor of material showing the development of civilisation in the valleys and hills around Kraków. Didn't know the celts were there around 300 BC.

    Just time for a long, and very good, lunch and a sit in the park before catching our flight. It was delayed half an hour or so, but we were still home in time to see the end of England's footballers messing it up again!
    Read more