Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Sunday

    September 26, 2021 in Greece ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    This morning we drove around the area near here. There a lots of new large villas in isolated spots and several wide and empty beaches. Not sure what it would be like high season.
    Paros does not have much in the way of archaeological sites but we are trying to visit the few marked on the map. The Mycenaean acropolis from 13c BC sounded worth a try. Obviously from the name it's at the top of a hill but this one proved too difficult for us to climb - no clear path and big boulders so we gave up about two thirds of the way up. I guess we aren't going to do much climbing of Greek mountains any more!

    Sunday lunchtime is big for Greek families and the hotel restaurant was busy with long noisy groups. We ate a light meal on our terrace of cheese and shrimp pies and later, Tim's favourite Greek dessert of galactoboreko.
    Very quiet in the restaurant this evening and Stella, the owner, sat and chatted for a while about what it had been like during the pandemic. Her son, a Greek pop star, was on TV last night in a sort of Strictly for singers where a professional singer pairs with an amateur.
    Read more