Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    A lovely adventure

    September 30, 2021 in Greece ⋅ 🌬 20 °C

    Today we decided to go on an adventure to the nearby island of Antiparos. The attraction - apart from going on a boat - was the possibility of being able to visit a new archaeological site not properly open to the public as it is still being excavated. The site is on an uninhabited island just off Antiparos. The ferry to Antiparos is a roll- on roll- off boat that you just drive on then pay. It only takes 10 minutes but the wind is strong today and so it was quite bracing. We drove 20 minutes to the tip of the island and asked for Captain Sargos. He is the chap who ferries the archaeologists and guard across to the site and amazingly we were in luck. We had to wait till the guard arrived and then were taken across in a caique. We just had 40 minutes whilst the guard showed us around before being ferried back.
    Also on Antiparos is a well known cave full of stalactites and stalagmites. It goes very deep rather than sideways into the mountain. They say it's the deepest vertical cave in Europe. We stopped off here and went most of the way down before climbing back. We earned a delicious lunch in the port before catching the ferry back to Paros.
    Read more