Satellit
Visa på kartan
  • Dag 3

    Valley of the Thracian kings

    15 augusti 2023, Bulgarien ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    We spent the whole morning visiting tombs of Thracian Kings and nobles. They all date from 5cBC to 3cBC. As the Thracians had no writing little is known about them except what the Greeks wrote about them. At this period they were heavily influenced by the Greeks but had their own customs, beliefs and grave goods. They think the tombs were originally used as temples for rituals and only later as tombs and then buried in a mound.

    Sadly only one of the tombs was intact when excavated and this turned out to be of King Southes II and this was the first we visited. Its like a smaller version of the tombs at Mycenae with a dome formed of large granite blocks with a corridor (dromos) leading to it from a stone portal. The gold, silver and bronze grave goods are in the museum with replicas on site.
    We then visited 3 others all different and for unknown people.
    The final visit was to a replica of the most spectacular tomb - the original is now too damaged for visitors (but Bettany Hughes got in for a TV programme later this year). The murals show the tomb owner and wife, being blessed by the Great Mother goddess, with horses, chariot racing, drinking wine and other scenes of daily life. Really very fine!
    Läs mer