Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Walking day in Plovdiv

    August 14, 2023 in Bulgaria ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Today we spent all day walking around Plovdiv, which turns out to be a pleasant little city with amazing history. The centre is quite modern but off the main streets it can be run down and threadbare, and it's surrounded by soviet era apartment blocks that look horrid, but our guide says they are much admired because they were so solidly built.

    Just outside our hotel are the remains of the roman forum, and the main shopping street is several metres above bits of the roman stadium that would been the site of things like chariot races. Not much left but made with lovely marble. Overlooking the end corner of the stadium is the dzhumaya mosque, the main mosque from the ottoman period, dating from the 14th century and still in full use.

    From there we walked to the bulgarian orthodox cathedral of Maria dormitian , and then up one of the three hills that give the city its ancient name - trimontium, three hills. At the top of the hill was one of the great sites of the city, an almost intact roman amphitheatre with spectacular views over the city- they certainly knew how to site them!

    Then lunch in the old town ontop of the hill with houses of rich 19th century ottoman merchants, and then down again to a site only recently discovered, a 2nd century roman temple with a 4th to 6th century Christian basilica built ontop of it. The basilica floor was entirely covered with mosaics in geometric and animal bird patterns, and it was HUGE, maybe the size of a football pitch, and the mosaics are all still there!

    Finally we were supposed the spend time in the archaeological museum, which is said to be really good, but it was closed - a trip for another day.
    Read more