Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Over the mountains to northern Bulgaria

    August 17, 2023 in Bulgaria ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    This morning we left our hotel in Plovdiv, which has been very pleasant, to travel across the Balkan mountains which run west to east across the middle of Bulgaria, giving its name to the whole peninsula.
    We stopped at Skipka pass, at 4800 feet high, where a couple of more agile members of our group climbed 675 steps up to the Skipka monument. It commemorates the defeat of the Ottomans by the Russian army in 1878 to liberate Bulgaria from Ottoman rule - which helps to explain the fondness of Bulgarians for Russia even today.
    Our first visit was to Etur - a museum of life in 19c Bulgaria with craft demonstrations and souvenirs shops - which we didn't find very interesting. The Chiltern Open Air museum was more interesting and less twee. We also had the worst meal of the week here - with really tough loukanika sausages and crinkle oven chips.
    The highlight was a visit in Arbanasi to a 17c church with incredible frescoes covering every surface. They depicted the major scenes from old and new testaments , saints and warnings about judgement day with horrid penalties for wrongdoing - such as mixing too much water into the wine!
    Our last visit was not just a waste or time but was disturbing. After a climb up to the citadel in Veliko Turnovo in the heat of the afternoon, the objective was a 'church' built in the 1970s by the Russians with brutalised murals depicting religious icons under the thumb of Russian rule. Most unpleasant.
    Our hotel here is very pleasant with a view of the citadel from our room. No suite this time but a large and comfortable room.
    Read more