Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Off to Yosemite and another bear!

    July 16, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    For the 3rd day in a row we got up at 6:30 am. The previous two were to ski. This one was to get to a campsite in time to get a site.

    We came in from the east via the Tioga Pass and discovered that the Tuolumne Meadows campground was still closed because of flooding.

    So - the ranger at the gate suggested we try Tamarack Flats.

    In hindsight I think we got quite lucky - but we managed to get a great spot - though Franklin noted it was right in a mountain lion's kill box (under a large rock)! We were also told there was a very active bear in the area that had climbed a tree right next to our site. However - the bear didn't stop by during our trip. The ranger said that it might come sniffing around the van but as soon as we woke up and made noise it would leave. We also met a woman on the "bear team" from the department of fish and wildlife who was there to deal with the bear. She looked super tough!

    Oh - and we saw another bear!!! This one was right at the top of the access road to the campground - about three miles from the campground. We love bears!
    Read more