Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    First full day in India

    April 6, 2023 in India ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    Wow. That word sums up today. We started our day with a delicious “South India” breakfast at our hotel. It was made up of idlis (soft steamed rice flour buns) served with Sambar (vegetable lentil stew) and coconut chutney. We walked around the neighborhood to find a SIM card for Eric’s trip phone so he has cheap Indian cell service and data for our trip. (On the other hand I downloaded an eSIM from Airalo before our trip, which gives me tons of data but no calling/texting with my own cell phone/number). That took nearly and hour, and afterwards we took our first ride in a rickshaw when we hooked up with a rickshaw cab driver who took us on a sightseeing and shopping drive around Kochi. He took us to a huge area where hand washing is done, to the produce market area and to a fancy artisan crafts building where I may have purchased a couple beautiful pashmina scarves and a trip talisman ring. The hotel we are staying in is also an Ayurvedic spa, so Eric signed us up for “Sandalwood Ritual” 80-minute massages late this afternoon. Holy cow!

    This evening there was an Rickshaw Run participants gathering for beers at a local restaurant. There were a LOT of people there, and we chatted with a few participants, but it wasn’t really set up for mingling. Of note is that the participants of this Rickshaw Run are probably 95+% male…. 😜

    We are staying near a mosque, and heard the call to prayer from it and a distant mosque at about 12:30pm and then again this evening at sunset. It is Ramadan right now, and that may be why we have heard ongoing beautiful singing on loudspeakers from the mosques up until now, almost 10pm.

    A thundershower came through late this afternoon which was quite refreshing. Now it is still and muggy.

    What a day, and it’s just the beginning!
    Read more