Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    From Munnar to Tiruppur, Tamil Nadu

    April 10, 2023 in India ⋅ 🌙 91 °F

    We didn’t make a lot of miles today because of going 15kph and slower through the winding roads of the mountains, and 30kph driving through the tiger reserve. But once we got out into flat territory we were making 60kph+. So it seems like we will be able to make much better progress when we are on flatter ground. AND if we can stop being distracted by cool things. It is REALLY hard to blast through places. We will wish we could take 2 months rather than 2 weeks.

    We left the state of Kerala and have entered the state of Tamil Nadu. Checking into our hotel (Hotel Home) in Tiruppur felt a bit like we were trying to enter a new country. Luckily we passed muster. The bathroom in our room has mothballs sitting in the sink drain and floor drain. Not my favorite aroma…

    Pardon my boldness, but I have to share that I encountered my first two squatty potties today! First since visiting Japan in 1999. One time it was a pay toilet at a tourist rest area in the mountains. We paid the equivalent of about 2.5-cents to use the toilet.

    We had the best chai tea of our trip so far today at two different places. I’m sharing the video of chai tea being readied to serve.

    At the base of the mountains we passed through an agricultural area where I recognized corn, coconut trees, banana trees and maybe papayas trees, and off in the distance in all directions are wind turbines maybe half the height or less of those we see at home. Very cool!
    Passing through the town of Udumalaipetti we stopped for delicious mushroom pastries and hot, sweet lemon tea to die for. The food!! ❤️

    As we returned to the road we ended up behind a truck carrying a bunch of people including youth playing drums. They saw us and went crazy! We felt like we were being led in a parade!
    Read more