Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Taj Mahal

    May 4, 2023 in India ⋅ ⛅ 68 °F

    This whole trip has obviously been incredible beyond words, but to see the Taj Mahal in person was like a dream. It’s a UNESCO site and one of the New 7 Wonders of the World.

    We woke up at 5am so that our driver/guide could pick us up at 5:30 and we could catch the Taj in the early morning light. We had a perfect guide specifically for this site who explained everything to us and didn’t rush us through.

    The Taj Mahal took 22 years to build, and it was commissioned by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan to hold the tomb of his third and favorite wife. His tomb is also there. The reason it took so long was the detailed craftsmanship. The building is made of white Indian marble, with many carved details, especially inside where we couldn’t take photos. All of the decorative work that is not white is semi-precious stone inlay work. The calligraphy of Muslim prayers around the huge doors are inlaid black onyx. Floral work was done with lapis lazuli, carnelian, malachite, turquoise, mother of pearl, and more. Amazing! And the surrounding gardens are beautiful and peaceful also.

    Now we are off to Varanasi, the final destination of our trip before we return to Delhi to fly home.
    Read more