Satellite
Show on map
  • Villalón de Campos To Santervás de Campo

    September 23, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Today we started off with a great breakfast for a change. At the albergue, they had some milk, eggs, and bread. I cooked us up some French toast with this. The hospitalerio also gave us some melon. We hit the road full for a change.

    Most of the walk was thru farm track today. It seemed to go on forever. Fortunately, the weather is cooler.

    The albergue where we ended up at in Santervás de Campos is really something. The volunteer hospitalerios Isadoro and Reyes are fantastic host. The fed us well.

    This small village in the middle of nowhere, it turns out is very noteworthy. It was the birthplace of Juan Ponce de Leon! He was in charge of the expedition following Columbus. He was the first governor of Puerto Rico, and discovered Florida while looking for the fountain of youth.

    We were asked if we would like to see the museum, and agreed to go have a look. To our amazement, the museum was in the basement of the albergue! We went down into the cavernous space, and low and behold there was a complete museum with incredible displays.

    A truly incredible day.
    Read more