Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    The big 5 - part 2

    November 10, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    After such an eventful morning, what could possibly happen? 3 different herds of elephants just having food and water on the river banks as we are having lunch just above…then we got back to our lodge to rest, and another elephant just passed by in front of our lodge, 8 meters from our balcony! Then it was a giraffe. Who needs to go on game drive with such a show!
    Evening safari started ideally: we were missing one of the big 5 and voilà: 2 buffalos! trying to hide in the grass and giving us nasty looks. After finding a few rhinos, jess got a call that the lions were around again. So we went to watch them. Of course, at first, being lions, they were not very active: sleeping, rolling in the grass and being so so so cute! Big cats really and you just want to rub their belly (would be the last time though if you were).
    We had to leave them to do our apero but Jess promised that she would monitor her radio if they moved.
    After the drinks, done in a spectacular setting as usual, we decided to go back to the lions- it was then pitch dark. Jess got a call that a colleague found a leopard. It was the female we saw on our first day. She was curled up, almost invisible in the grass… but the most incredible thing was that the lions were maybe 500 meters away. And suddenly, we saw in the light of one of the other guides car, the lions moving, coming closer. What an incredible spectacle to see those 5 silhouettes walking, against the light shone on them. They did not look like big cuddly cats anymore, but very much the apex predators. Lights shone on the leopard were turned off so that we don’t make her vulnerable. And all 3 cars started to follow the lions. Was amazing and so exciting. Throughout, the lions did not care about us. They were focused. We never found out on what since we had to abort the mission to get back to the lodge for dinner… we were so hyped. WHAT A DAY!
    Read more