Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    4. Day Nikosia (Trip to Paphos) I

    August 28, 2022 in Cyprus ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We woke up early yesterday on the 4th day of our stay in Nicosia and wanted to take the bus to Paphos to see the city. We had also researched that Paphos is home to some ancient sights.

    So we caught the bus at 9am. The journey took 2 hours and we paid €13 per person for the return journey.

    To Paphos:

    Paphos is a city on the southwest coast of the Mediterranean island of Cyprus. Its settlement dates back to the Neolithic period and there are several places of worship of the goddess Aphrodite, who according to myth was born in Old Paphos (Kouklia). Today's Paphos (New Paphos) is a modern port city with ancient tombs and the remains of castles, theatres and Roman villas in the Paphos Archaeological Park.

    In 2017 it was - together with Aarhus in Denmark - European Capital of Culture.

    Mythical sources trace the city's foundation back to King Kinyras, after whom generations of priest-kings in Paphos called themselves Kinyraden.

    Archaeologically, the prehistory of Palaia Paphos can be traced back to the late Bronze Age. A settlement must have existed since the 15th century BC.
    Read more