Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    A Change of Plans

    May 7, 2023 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 55 °F

    We work up this morning with the most amazing view and changed our plans about what we will do today!
    Since we arrived in Waterford a bit early for our 7.30 dinner reservation last night, we had time to wander around and see a few things. From other trips, reading and watching TV, we know a good bit about the Viking history in Europe. So, instead of going back to the city of Waterford to learn more about that, we chose a cliff hike and time on the beach this morning. Heavenly!

    Hiking the cliff walk and experiencing the uniqueness of the ground...it's bouncy... was fun. Then, down to the beach for a long walk. This beach was very rocky with a small area of sand. The area is called the Copper Coast and is considered a UNESCO Global Geopark. The coast line here evolved after volcanic activity ocurred over 460 million years ago. We had a 'Poldark' moment when we came up on an old copper mine. Read more here about the geology of the area: https://coppercoastgeopark.com/copper-coast-geo…

    The weather has mostly been just what we expected - a touch of everything. The winds on the coast are crazy wild. I guess that is partly why it is called the WILD ATLANTIC WAY. The temps have been in the upper 50s and low 60s for the most part. That means the ocean waters are around low 50's. NC beach waters are more like upper 60s to mid 70s. While walking the beach we met a group of ladies who go swimming in the very cold water every Sunday! (Think 'Bad Sisters' if you watch Apple+). BURRRR!! 🥶

    It was a really lovely, slow day taking in the area. We would go back there in a minute!
    Read more