Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Beara Peninsula

    May 9, 2023 in Ireland

    Kinsale is a town on the southern coast of Ireland that has two 17th-century forts sitting on opposite banks of the River Bandon. We planned to tour Charles fort (a star fort) but ended up at the smaller James fort. It was a beautiful spot to see the town and Charles fort, meet some pups and chat with a semi local who spent her younger years in the Tampa area.

    After leaving Kinsale, we headed for the Beara Peninsula. Many have heard of the Ring of Kerry - Beara is to the south of the Kerry Peninsula and is the least popular with tourists. That made it a perfect place for us to tour!

    This is the most incredible place to see! The untouched beauty is mind-blowing. Remote and wild, full of sheep and cows grazing and so many twists and turns on the Healy Pass. In fact, the roads actually have a story as well. During the Great Famine (1845-1851), the government used forced labor workers to build roads and paid them with food.

    After driving the peninsula, we headed to Helen's Bar for a bit of dinner and a pint. Helen herself sat us and was a delight! A cheap pint and pups inside...our kinda place. 😆

    The rain came in a bit after dinner as we headed to our stay for the night....an alpaca farm! They were adorable, and the little stone cottage was wonderful.
    Read more