Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    A Day well Misspent

    May 3, 2014 in India ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    I had to limit the speed within 40KMPH since the route was too twisted and didn't want the occupants suffer car sickness. By 1:30 PM we reached Kumily. It is lunch time, so decided to find a hotel and check with the people out there for any information on boating. The information we got also didn't hint us about the unworthiness of our trip that day. Everything looked positive. We reached thekkady by 2:15 hoping we would get tickets for the 3:45 PM boating slot. When we reached there we were shocked to know the 3:45 slot tickets were sold out at 11:30AM itself. Tourists join the queue early at 6:00 AM and usually all the tickets for the day gets sold out well before 12:00PM and rarely before 1:00PM. And from thekkady I checked out the internet and came to know the fast selling tickets for the day is true. So it was clear that one has to stay a night in thekkady and try from 6:00AM only then they would be able to get a ticket for one of the boating slot. ~80KMs of drive, fuel cost, kids expectation and their patience thourghout the drive sitting inside the car calm and nice for the only reason they are gonna watch all the animals they know from the boat and our energy spent were all useless. Instead we could have stayed in our homestay sleeping, relaxing, talking, playing with the kids and much more priceless activities. Me and my friend felt so guilty for not doing a research in advance before planning such a hectic trip. And my friend felt more guilty since I had to drive to and fro and even more guilty for insisting a trip to thekkady even though I wished to stay indoors and spend the day relaxing. Gone is good gone.

    But the beautiful location is deeply framed in our mind, we have planned to visit thekkady again by staying there for 2 nights. So the next ETTA might be ETTA @ Thekkady. At the bottom of this page are few information about activities available at Thekkady for better planning for next time and also to be helpful for members who wanted to plan for thyekkady.
    Read more