Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 8: Lunch on the Panama Canal

    December 30, 2023 in Panama ⋅ ⛅ 88 °F

    So, what is lunch like on a cruise ship while traveling through the Panama Canal?

    We arrived at “The Restaurant”. Which is its actual name on deck 2 a bit early. Which gave use time to do 4 laps around deck 2 for a total of 1 mile.

    They paired my Rueben sandwich with a Bottega - Pinot Grigio Venezia which was lovely, Donna had a nice burger (no bun or cheese) - Paul had Salad and Donna had the Lentil soup - the Mixed Berry Sorbet was a refreshing wash of elegance across our palette and the Blueberry Mouse Cake was so light I am positive it doesn’t have any calories.

    We met Mike & Carol, as well as, Madeline & Jay at the tables next to us. Which honestly is a huge part of the cruise experience - it isn’t just about the amazing places we visit - it is about the amazing people we are meeting.

    There is a pool my old boss/manager is running - the stakes are pretty high $$$$$$$$$ How much weight will Paul gain (I started out at 252 pounds when I boarded the ship) by the time he arrives in England on May 10th.

    So, in my on defense of gaining too much weight Donna and I are trying to take the stairs as often as we can. You can see some pics at deck 1 and then the stairs and finally making it up to our floor on deck 8.

    The scenery was lovely as we passed through the canal. An interesting factoid is they keep the land well groomed almost like a putting green to help keep the mosquitos away along the canal.

    There is an old and new canal our ship the Viking Neptune is 105 feet wide we squeezed into the old canal at 107 feet wide. When the canal was built the width was determined by the width of the largest warship in the USA.

    As a child in 7th or 8th grade we all took history & geography class and learned about the Panama Canal — but it as so far away — but to cruise smoothly through it - and kiss my lovely wife Donna along the canal route is beyond my imagination.

    We are now approaching the looks on the other side of the lake - it is raining now - the ship is parked.as we go in and out of each lock the process of the water going up and down is beyond belief.

    #myvikingjourney #vikingneptune #Panama #panamaCanal
    Read more