Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Day 45: We made it to the top!

    February 5 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    Paul got up early and did the “Bay of Plenty” included excursion. It was a nice bus ride through the area. Someone said the countryside reminded them of the Ashland, North Carolina area. I agree.

    We saw the beaches, the hills, and many kiwi farms. The bus pulled up nice and close so we could take pictures of the kiwi fruit hanging from the vine. Stopped at a community center for an excellent short lesson on Kiwi and a cultural dance performance, as well as a kiwi tasting (gold kiwi & green kiwi). Will post those photos later.

    When I got back around 10:30 Donna and I decided to take a walk into the town of Tauranga - this walk turned into a hike to the top of Mt, Maunganui. This is another thing which was never on our bucket list - but we did it.

    By the way, as you are hiking up the Mount Maunganui the people coming down will tell you two things. 1) It’s only another 10-15 minutes to the top (THAT’S A LIE). 2) The view is worth the effort. (That’s the TRUTH.)

    A taonga stone is set in side a compass on a large base on the Atea-a-Rangi on Mauao (the mount). It was designed in such a manner children and everyone can touch the stone. The monument was created in June 2022. It was said “Everyone enters this place and soaks up the energy of our mountain and it is lucky that the mountain has a lot of energy to give. All we are doing is allowing to give it some energy back.” (NZ Herald 06/23/2022

    It was not an easy hike, we surely got our steps in. The next day our leg muscles still feel it. The view from the top is spectacular. We did touch the stone for luck, energy, and peace. We enjoyed our time in Rotorua (Tauranga) New Zealand.
    Read more