Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 60

    Day 60: Brisbane, Australia

    February 20 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    Our excursion today is at 1:00 PM and since it is a 45 minute shuttle ride into Brisbane city proper - and the excursion starts at the pier we decided to sleep in and have a late breakfast.

    For breakfast you have basically five options:
    - The Living Room (6-9 AM)
    - Mamsen’s (6:30 - 11:00 AM)
    - World Cafe (6:30 - 9:30 AM
    - The Restaurant (8:00 - 9:30 AM)
    - Room Service (24/7)

    What’s nice about the above options they provide a different setting/vibe and menu so you can choose what you want to do depending on how you feel or your schedule.

    Paul was up around 8:00 AM. - A quick shower & shave; he headed to “The Restaurant” for a herbs, mushroom, & cheese omelette, cappuccino, juice, and granola with yogurt & berries. A bit after 9:00 AM Paul knew Donna could be found having breakfast at Mamsen’s.

    Attached are a couple of pictures off of Deck 7 at the Brisbane International Cruise Terminal - it is a very peaceful remote location. As I type this I am watching an airplane make its way to land at the nearby airport.

    “Oh, Noooooooooo!” He screams as the ships alarm is sounded. See video - turn on your audio.

    We have an about three hours before our “Panoramic Brisbane” (included) excursion. Hopefully, I can get caught up on some of my missing blog posts. It will be a short day here in Brisbane, we have to be back to the ship at 4:00 PM.

    So far my biggest disappointment is when we are rushed and only have 1 day, or less, in a given port. Basically, we get a “Cliff Notes” version of the destination - it’s okay, just not perfect.

    The days we have an overnight I have found (for me) doing the included or one of the cool paid excursions early on day one, to then have the other half of the day to set out on your own, buy a couple of trinkets with no evening time limit to be back on board works great. Taking a trolley, bus, or ferry ride to nowhere particular and back has been great fun. Asking a local for a good place to eat - where do they like to go? Is the question we like to ask.

    The next day in the morning we can get out on our own again to explore the port some more or do a private excursion we have found out about the day before. Get back on the ship by 4 or 5 PM works out great and we have had a more complete experience.

    Bus excursion tips: #1 as you are boarding the bus ask the bus driver which side is the better view for pictures on this trip. #2 Don’t sit by a window with a post by the seat - go back one or two rows and the post won’t be in your way when you take photos as you drive by places. #3 Hold your phone/camera very close to the window glass to eliminate glass reflection. #4 If your are using a camera which you can control the shutter speed - Higher shutter speed (to freeze motion) and f8 - f11 (For better depth of field) and then Auto ISO or if you are setting your ISO you might need it higher than you would normally like. #5 Once you get on the bus, as get it moving, take a couple of practice shots and see if the settings are what you need - even if they are junk shots - just delete them.

    Well, that’s enough pontification for now. Hopefully there will be some nice shots of today’s adventure.
    Read more