Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Alcazaba de Málaga

    September 24, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    We left the apartment a bit before 9am to get to the Alcazaba before the crowds. We were fortunate that there wasn’t a queue, and so we got straight in. The Alcazaba is stunning. It dates from about the 11th century, and was utilised as a palace-fortress by the Moorish rulers of the city. It is built on a spur, and takes advantage of the contours of the land. There were additions made to the palace in the 13th and 14th centuries. Within the palace there are a number of courtyards. The Alcazaba was mostly built of limestone, which crumbles easily and therefore it has required frequent rebuilding throughout its existence. The most recent restorations took place in the 1930’s.

    The Alcazaba has lush gardens throughout, which keep the area well shaded and cool. The Alcazaba is in a pretty good condition, and was a pleasure to stroll through. There were intact mosaics and marble work, and a lovely 16th century carved wooden ceiling. It was cool, and well shaded, with several intact fountains and waterways that were fully operational - these are characteristic of Moorish architecture and help to provide cooling, as well as the calming sound of gently running water.
    Read more