Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Bordeaux, easy city to loose yourself in

    October 9, 2022 in France ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    We had a late start to the day. It was really nice to just lounge about in the apartment and (try) to catch up on the blog. Once out the door, we walked along the Garonne river to the Miroir d’Eau (water mirror) to take some photos of the reflections of the buildings, but there were several kids splashing about and it was a bit difficult to get the perfect shot. We then wandered past the Place de la Bourse and spotted the restaurant L’Observatoire Du Gabriel, where we are having dinner on Monday night. We wandered down Rue St Remi where there was an abundance of restaurants to choose from, and settled on a place called ‘Le Bistrot’ that had some interesting starters. So, we parked ourselves outside, and ordered some wine and three entrees to share for lunch.

    We chose the panna cotta with tomatoes and basil, the poached egg in a corn emulsion with roasted corn and crisp bacon bits, and a vegetable tart which comprised of eggplant caviar, roasted courgette, roasted capsicum, spring onion and herbs - it was all bloody delicious, and not at all expensive. We will try and recreate these dishes once we get home.

    After lunch we wandered around a bit more before heading back to the apartment to crack open one of the reds we had acquired in the Medoc. Before going home we stopped by our local boulangerie to pick up a baguette. It was piping hot and smelt divine, so I had to nibble the end off on the way home - it is the French way! We had the baguette with cheese and charcuterie for dinner, washed down with a bottle of 2017 Château Dauzac red. We sat out on the balcony watching the world go by. This included a protest march for a Kurdish freedom fighter who has been imprisoned but not charged.

    It was nice to have a day that is a bit more relaxed and at a slower pace. It is important to recharge the batteries and stop and smell the roses and sip the wine. Once again we ate in - just fruit, cheese, Jamon and bread together with one of our reds from Château Dacauz.
    Read more