Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Final night in Bordeaux

    October 10, 2022 in France ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Tonight we treated ourselves to a tasting menu at L’Observatoire Du Gabriel, a Michelin star restaurant about 10 minutes from our apartment. There was still a bit of drizzly rain about, so we took umbrellas and walked very carefully on the wet cobblestones.

    The restaurant is situated in Place De La Bourse, a very grand square which faces the Garonne river. From the moment you enter the building the staff are there to greet and assist you as needed. We were escorted to an elevator and taken up to level 2 where we were again greeted by someone who relieved us of our umbrellas and jackets.

    We were seated at our table, which was in the centre of the room. The sommelier then brought over the wine list (as big as large book) and our menu options. We could choose a 5 course or 9 course tasting menu, so elected to go for the 5 course option as we just didn’t think we could manage 9 courses. Just as well as, in addition to the 5 courses, you receive a savoury pastry, 4 appetisers, an amuse-bouche, and petite fours at the conclusion of the meal.

    We started with a glass of Krug champagne to celebrate our last night in France in this wonderful restaurant. I had never had Krug before (it was very good), so another thing ticked off on the bucket list. Poor Ian was trying to navigate his way through the massive wine ‘list’; in the end, we asked the sommelier for some assistance. As the menu was predominantly seafood based we went with a white from Château Olivier in honour of Mimi’s family. It was a Gran Cru Classé from the Pessac-Léognan region we had visited on Saturday, and turned out to be an excellent choice.

    All the decisions had now been made, so we could sit back and enjoy the wonderful ambiance, fabulous wine, delicious food, great service and, of course, the company! We started with a savoury pastry, followed by four fabulous appetisers. Next was an amuse bouche comprising grilled sardine with white beans in a vinaigrette in a crisp tart shell.

    Then began the Saturn Menu in 5 Acts: OYSTER - from Matthieu Dumas slightly vinegar, beef tartar and iodised rice cream; MUSHROOMS FROM HERE - in 3 ways, barnacles and whelks candied in a juice; EEL- lightly smoked with onion in various expressions, the chef’s signature dish; COD - cooked as a croque monsieur in a basquaise way; and, finally for dessert HONEY - from our hives, meringue and citrus emulsion, roasted fig and sangria. We had an espresso to finish the meal and were offered petite fours, but were too full so they boxed them up and we had them for breakfast. We also received a small citrus cake each and a signed copy of the menu.

    I have to applaud Ian for getting through the menu, especially the oyster course as he isn’t particularly fond of oysters or steak tartare, but he did enjoy the dish.

    The experience was wonderful from the moment we arrived until when we rolled out the door about 3+ hours later.
    Read more